J A Stephen Viggiano
Digital Color Imaging Scientist and Educator
You can download my CV as a PDF.
Steve is Founder and Principal of Acolyte
Color Research, a firm specializing in Digital Color Imaging Science.
He also served 10 years as a member of the graduate faculty of the
School of Printing Management and
Sciences at RIT, where he taught courses in image reproduction theory,
ink and paper science, research methods, and color measurement. Professor
Viggiano was a multiple nominee for RIT's Eisenhart Award for Excellence in
Before founding Acolyte, Steve had over 14 years' professional experience in
Digital Color Imaging Science at RIT Research Corporation.
Recent Projects, Research Interests, and Areas of Expertise include:
- Colorimetric Calibration and Characterization of Color Hardcopy and Capture Devices
- Device Independent Color and Color Management
- Tone and Color Reproduction Analysis
- Colorant Mixture Formulation
- Digital Halftoning, including Multi-Level
- Test Target Creation in Postscript
- Digital Image and Signal Processing
- Image Quality Analysis
Some of these publications are available as Portable Documents, which you can download and read with Adobe Acrobat.
- "The GRL Dot Gain Model," 1983 TAGA Proceedings, p 423 - 439.
- "The Color of Halftone Tints," 1985 TAGA Proceedings, p 647 - 661.
- "Color Measurement in Graphic Reproduction Technology: Toward Epoch 2000,"
1987 TAGA Proceedings, p 54 - 74.
- "Modeling the Color of Multi-color
Halftones," 1990 TAGA Proceedings, p 44 - 62.
- "Gray Component Replacement: A Practical Approach,"
Advanced Printing of Conference Summaries, SPSE's 43rd Annual Conference,
1990, p 204 - 206.
- "Comparison of Radiance Ratio Spectra:
Assessing a Model's Goodness of Fit," Advanced Printing of Conference
Summaries, SPSE's 43rd Annual Conference, 1990, p 222 - 225.
- J A Stephen Viggiano and C Jeffrey Wang, "A
Suggested Method for Computing Colorimetric Densities," 1991 TAGA
Proceedings, p 196 - 215.
- J A Stephen Viggiano and C Jeffrey Wang, "A
Comparison of Algorithms for Mapping Color Between Media of Differing Luminance
Ranges," 1992 TAGA-ISCC Proceedings, Volume 2, p 959 - 974.
- "Some Elements of Cross-Device Rendering." IS&T Reporter,
March, 1993. 8 : 1, p 1 - 3.
- J A Stephen Viggiano and C Jeffrey Wang,
"A Novel Method for Colorimetric Calibration
of Color Digitizing Scanners," 1993 TAGA Proceedings, p 143 - 160.
- Theera Tanvichachan, Franz Sigg and J A Stephen Viggiano, "Conversion of Solid Ink Density and Dot Gain Specifications into Colorimetric Specifications," 1993 TAGA Proceedings, p 107 - 117.
- Nathan M. Moroney and J A Stephen Viggiano,
"Color Imaging Using Variable Dot Thermal Wax
Transfer," Proceedings of the IST/SID 1994 Color Imaging Conference,
p 167 - 169.
- J A Stephen Viggiano and Nathan M. Moroney,
"Color Reproduction Algorithms and Intent,"
Proceedings of the IST/SID 1995 Color Imaging Conference, p 152 - 154.
- J A Stephen Viggiano and William J Hoagland,
"Colorant Selection for Six-Color Lithographic
Printing," Proceedings of the IST/SID 1998 Color Imaging Conference, p 112 - 115.
- Considerations in High-Speed, Commercial
Quality Ink-Jet Printing. Imagination, 2000. 1:3, p 2, 4.
- Deepthi Sid and J A S Viggiano, "Methods and Applications for Printer Color Gamut Visualization." IS&Tıs NIP 16: International
Conference on Digital Printing Technologies, 2000. p 821.
- "A Perception-Referenced Method for Comparison
of Radiance Ratio Spectra and its Application as an Index of Metamerism,"
Ninth Congress of International Colour Association, Proceedings of SPIE volume 4421 (AIC 2001 Proceedings), 2002. p. 701 - 704.
- "Minimal-Knowledge Assumptions in Digital Still
Camera Characterization, I.: Uniform Distribution, Toeplitz Correlation"
Proceedings of the IST/SID 2001 Color Imaging Conference, p 332 - 336.
- "A Comparison of Different White Balancing Algorithms
as Quantified by their Color Constancy, Proceedings of the SPIE Volume 5301, 2004, in press.
- Metrics for Evaluating Spectral Matches: a Quantitative Comparison," Proceedings of CGIV-2004: the Second European Conference on Colour Graphics, Imaging, and Vision. Springfield, VA: IS&T - The Society for Imaging Science & Technology, 2004, in press.
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES AND AFFILIATIONS
- JPRT-316: Ink And Substrates
- JPRT-700: Science And Mathematics For Graduates
- JPRT-701: Research Methods In The Graphic Arts
- JPRT-702: Graphic Reproduction Theory
- JPRT-722: Ink, Color, And Substrates
This page: http://www.acolyte-color.com/JASV.html
- Introduction To Electronic Halftoning
- Introduction To Postscript Programming
- Color Measurement For Quality Acceptance Of Printed Materials
- others available upon request
Last modified: 19 March 2004
J A Stephen Viggiano: JASV@acolyte-color.com
Acolyte Color Research
35 Mickens Bend
West Henrietta, NY 14586
+1-585 / 359 - 3869